Monday, March 30, 2009

Things I have learned...

I probably already knew some of these but it is good to be reminded of them from time to time. However, first off, big congrats to Kirsten Sweetland for totally killing the first world cup of the season in Mooloolaba, AUS. What a great win to start the season.
So what did I learn:
1 - There are alot of streams and creeks in the Pisgah National Forest, NC where I am now doing most of my MTB training.
2 - When it rains alot, like say all week, these streams and creeks get much bigger.
3 - MTB trails in Pisgah cross over these creeks and streams alot, and even sometimes become streams themselves.
4 - If you decide to ride your bike through the stream instead of hiking it across you should always remember to gear down as the other side of the stream bed is usually pretty steep and if you don't you run the risk of not making it up the other side.
5 - I don't like biking with wet feet.
6 - Mountain bike shoes, while better than road biking shoes, have very little traction.
7 - Wet logs are very slippery.
8 - There is a lot of climbing in the Pisgah National Forest.
9 - Having lots of gears on your mountain bike only helps if they are working.
10 - Your calves really tighten up when you have to push your bike uphill endlessly.
11 - My enjoyment of mountain biking decreases exponentially the more I have to push my bike uphill, but sometimes you get a really great view at the top.
12 - No matter how good I think my mountain biking is getting there are still lots of things I can't, won't, and may never be able to ride, and there are alot of these in the Pisgah National Forest.
Yah, I don't think so
I'm not sure anyone is riding up this one, I had a hard time just climbing up it with my bike
Needless to say my ride on Sunday was a little fustrating, though I have to admit less frustating than two of the other groups of riders I ran into who were all sitting down next to their bikes looking rather defeated. Of course the third group of riders that flew by me going downhill on their big travel all-mountain bikes as I was struggling to push my bike uphill thought I was downright nuts. I haven't exactly figured out the best direction to ride the trails around here. It seems for the most part the best way to ride is up the fireroads and down the singletrack. Oh well, live and learn right?!!!

1 comment:

Trevor Glavin said...

How's the Skinfit gear treating you? Hope you like it!
See you at the races!