Saturday, May 14, 2011

Sunny Santa Cruz...

For now anyways!! The weather reports show 70% rain for tonight and 40% chance for race day tomorrow. Locals say the trails at Wilder Ranch turn into quite the mucky mess when wet so fingers crossed we only get a dusting to tack things down. Flew into San Jose thursday am and made the quick drive down to Santa Cruz. I've never been to this strange California seaside town and well... Once again I am very fortunate to have a great race homestay and quickly made myself at home. The Xterra family is so welcoming and I literally have the house to myself as Susan arrived in from Sedona after me and left early Friday morning on her way to Tahoe to officiate the Tour of California!!! Friday morning Emma and I got a leisurely start to the day and headed out to preview the bike course. The swim is right downtown next to the wharf which makes for a 5+miles ride on the roads to get out to the trails at Wilder Ranch Park. Once in the park the course is packed with tons of climbing and very little techical riding and will definitely favour the super fit athletes. The fire roads are only broken up by two short but very fun singletracks sections through the redwoods. The views are however are spectacular.

Today my sister made the drive down from Sausalito to watch the race, whoo-hoo a cheering section!! Then we get to hang out in SF for a couple of days. Off to do final race prep and get a good nights sleep before and early start tomorrow.

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend :)

No comments: