Monday, August 24, 2009

New House Guest

Last week my sister noticed that something had been digging under the stairs to the front porch. Though we haven't actually seen what has decided to live or hide under the stairs we have a pretty good idea of what it is.
Wouldn't this be a fun surprise to run into early one morning on the way to swim practice?!!!! There have been a lot of them spotted running around the neighbourhood and digging under other people's porches. Hopefully he or she will decide to move on since we backfilled the hole.
This is about all the excitement that I have had in the past couple of weeks. Without many races leading up to Xterra National and Worlds it has simply been a whole lot of training and keeping on top of work. With both races having significant amounts of climbing (like tons) even the training has been somewhat dull. Because Southern Ontario has a complete lack of sustained climbs, hill reps have been reduced to the trainer with the front wheel propped up on a whole bunch of my old university architectural textbooks. I knew they would come in handy someday.
This weekend is the Ontario Provincial MTB Championships at Kelso Conservation Area. I am hoping I can return to my form from the first three races of the MTB season and take the win. With a ton more climbing than the last race and less technical sections it should definitely suit me better. Here's to nice sunny dry weather on Sunday. (wouldn't that be a change!!)

1 comment:

LARRY BRADLEY said...

Those are not fun, speaking from experience. Had a mother give birth to 8 under our front step. Every time I came back from my nightly runs she was digging back in where I had filled. They are super persistant so make sure you seal you front step so they do not get comfortable as, once they are there, they are almost impossible to get rid off. Unless you have $300 for the animal control people. Stay safe1